incubator-general mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <>
Subject Re: Bypassing Incubator
Date Wed, 10 Jun 2009 08:53:32 GMT
On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 5:01 AM, Gavin <> wrote:
> Hi,
> So, can someone tell me what the rules are regarding TLPs bringing in
> subprojects directly to their TLP rather than coming through incubator?

To add to Bill's response, the general position is;

1. Any substantial codebase needs at least IP Clearance in Incubator,
which is effectively just a record of where/when/how it came from, and
an opportunity for Incubator PMC members to have a look and make sure
that there is no flagrant IP issues.

2. If there is no additional 'community', for instance a single
developer contributing the work into a project, and if the TLP PMC is
comfortable to take on that codebase with or without such contributor
as new committer, then that is Ok.

3. If the TLP is not interested in taking ownership of the codebase,
but there are people within the TLP who are interested, then we
recommend Incubation for the codebase+community even if the community
is effectively just exising Apache committers (example Ace).

Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer - New Energy for Java

I  live here;
I  work here;
I relax here;

To unsubscribe, e-mail: