incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject Mentors, Members, Non-Members, Proposals and Scale
Date Tue, 30 Jun 2009 18:55:33 GMT
> if you take a look at http://incubator.apache.org/projects/ you can
> see that the majority of active podlings have many Mentors.

Yes, we have strongly encouraged it.

> It is also worrying to me that there is not a line of ASF Members
> willing to back the proposal by becoming Mentors.

There could be multiple reasons, not least of which would be your thought
that:

> It could be that those who back it are too busy with other podlings
> and don't have the bandwidth.

And I largely agree with you that:

> IF there are Members who want this, my kind of position will force
> those to step up, Incubator needs more hands... All of us won't be
> here forever...

People have asked about the scalability of the Incubator.  I believe that we
scale in proportion to the willingness of ASF Members to step up and work
here.  If we don't have ASF Members, or others who while not a Member we are
willing to elect as a PMC Member, then *THAT* is what puts the brakes on
Incubator growth.

HOWEVER, I disagree with your comment that:

> I am looking for Mentors with capital M, and that requires PMC
> membership. Without ASF membership, there are quite a lot of
> tasks that can't be done

While that may be true, there are plenty of others here who can do those
mechanical tasks.  As noted above, and separately by Bill, if there is a
non-ASF Member who wants to join the Incubator, they can place their hat in
the ring, and we can vote on their request on its merits, same as any other
PMC.

	--- Noel