incubator-general mailing list archives

From Martijn Dashorst <martijn.dasho...@gmail.com>
Subject Community readiness-when does it show?
Date Tue, 23 Jun 2009 22:08:43 GMT
When is a community Apache Ready™? According to our exit criteria (iirc):

 - when the community has performed at least one Apache release
 - when the community has cleaned the code from all license issues
 - when the community is diverse and open

My current issue is with the definition of "open". Not necessarily as
documented (haven't looked at the text lately), but as a gut feeling:
when is a community open?

 - all (technical) discussions happen on publicly archived lists
 - conflicts are resolved in a civil and respectful manner

But also:
 - the podling is able to identify new, valuable contributors and add
them to the project

I would like to see that the community proposes a new committer,
because they actively monitor their contributors.

If a community meets all the criteria, but hasn't discovered a new
committer (or two) by itself, is the community ready for graduation?
If not, how can we—mentors— nudge the community to focus on this
thing, without it becoming an exercise in "checking the check marks"?

Martijn