incubator-general mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <>
Subject Re: Community readiness-when does it show?
Date Wed, 24 Jun 2009 13:32:51 GMT
Scott Comer wrote:
> i would think that if there is someone contributing to the project
> that the
> community would recognize and add them themselves. it isn't up to the
> mentors to do anything except perhaps suggest they consider it if they're
> being really thick about it.
A bit too convoluted a sentence for my English decoder ;) Do you mean
that if the community is suggesting voting a new committer, then the
mentors should not do anything ? Well, in this case mentors can express
Joy and uncock champagne, of course, but mentors can also -1 the vote if
they think that the potential committer does not fit for some reason.
But it's unlikely !
> it would be cool if the mentors might suggest possible relationships with
> other projects where there might be synergy and perhaps cross
> pollination?
I *think* that we do that. I hope ... We are not necessarily around to
drive the new project from the technical aspect, but it cost nothing to
inform the podling that some choices might hurt the project, or if we
know about something similar done somewhere else, we can suggest using
it instead of reinventing the wheel. More important, as we are using a
lot of existing component, we can give feedback about them (like, "yeah,
maven 2 just do the job", or "don't write your own logging system". This
kind of stuff.).

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny

To unsubscribe, e-mail: