incubator-general mailing list archives

From Vinayak Borkar <vbo...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL][VOTE] Apache VXQuery
Date Mon, 15 Jun 2009 08:44:37 GMT
Hello,

Please find the proposal inline.

Thanks,
Vinayak

VXQueryProposal
Abstract

Apache VXQuery is a language processor that implements the XML Query
Language v1.0 standardized by the W3C.
Proposal

VXQuery (Versatile XQuery) will be a standards compliant XML Query
processor implemented in Java. We believe that there exists a strong
(and growing) need to process semi-structured data in many applications.
The W3C standardized v1.0 of the XML Query Language in early 2007. Since
then, a few processors have surfaced (both commercial and open source).
VXQuery will implement this standard.

VXQuery plans to be the glue that brings together imperative programming
in Java and declarative programming in XQuery. The project would enable
developers to use XQuery to navigate and transform application objects
declaratively in Java applications with minimal overhead.

In the VXQuery project we plan to build an implementation that allows
users to run declarative XQueries on arbitrary object models. Existing
XQuery engines execute queries by translating the user data into some
form of XML Object model. With VXQuery, we take the opposing view -
Translate the query to work natively on the user's object model.

In addition, VXQuery works on top of different XML representations
including DOM, Stax, and a space optimized model motivated by Xalan's
DTM (Document Table Model).

VXQuery will also provide a library that allows application developers
to express declarative queries without the need to learn a new syntax.
We believe that this will speed up the adoption process.
Current Status

This is a new project. The development of this proposal is complete and
ready for a vote.
Meritocracy

The initial developers are very familiar with meritocratic open source
development at Apache. Apache was chosen specifically because the
initial developers want to encourage this style of development for the
project.
Community

VXQuery seeks to develop developer and user communities during incubation.
Core Developers

The core members of the project are diverse. Vinayak Borkar is an
independent consultant. Till Westmann works for a company that would be
a potential consumer of VXQuery. During incubation the developers base
will be broadened.
Alignment

XQuery is gaining more traction as a XML management technology and there
already are several Apache projects ([WWW] XMLBeans, [WWW] Camel, [WWW]
Tuscany, [WWW] Synapse) that use or need a XQuery implementation. As no
such implementation is available as an Apache project these projects
have to rely on external engines. VXQuery can fill this gap and
complement the XML support of the Apache Software Foundation.
Known Risks
Orphaned products

VXQuery is new development.
Inexperience with Open Source

The initial developers include long-time open source developers. Vinayak
Borkar is an active contributor to the Zorba project at the FLWOR
foundation.
Relationships with Other Apache Products

XMLBeans is a representation of XML that would be natively supported in
VXQuery. Therefore VXQuery can be used as an efficient and
Apache-licensed implementation for the [WWW] selectPath and execQuery
methods found in XMLBeans.

Similarly, [WWW] Tuscany's SDO implementation can be natively supported
and VXQuery can be used to provide an [WWW] XQuery implementation for
Tuscany.

VXQuery can also be used as an XQuery implementation for [WWW] Camel,
and [WWW] Synapse.

Further, VXQuery uses the Xerces XML parser and schema validator.
A Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand

We believe in the processes, systems, and framework Apache has put in
place. Apache is also known to foster a great community around their
projects and provide exposure. While these points are important, they
are not the main motivation for choosing Apache to host VXQuery.
Documentation

Not publicly available
Initial Source

Not publicly available
External Dependencies

[WWW] JavaCC (BSD license), [WWW] Davos SDO implementation (Apache 2.0
license), [WWW] Woodstox XML parser (Apache 2.0 license), [WWW] XStream
project (BSD license)
Required Resources
Developer and user mailing lists

[MAILTO] vxquery-dev@incubator.apache.org [MAILTO]
vxquery-users@incubator.apache.org [MAILTO]
vxquery-commits@incubator.apache.org
A subversion repository

[WWW] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/vxquery
A JIRA issue tracker

VXQuery (VXQUERY)
Initial Committers

     *  Vinayak Borkar <vborky at yahoo dot com> [Submitted CLA]
     *  Till Westmann <till at westmann dot org> [Submitted CLA]
     *  Cezar Andrei <cezar at apache dot org> [Have CLA]
     *  Michael Carey <mjcarey at ics dot uci dot edu> [Submitted CLA]

Sponsors

     * XMLBeans PMC

Champion

     * Cezar Andrei

Nominated Mentors

     * Paul Fremantle <pzfreo at gmail dot com>