incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Traffic Server
Date Tue, 16 Jun 2009 23:40:50 GMT
On Jun 15, 2009, at 5:56 AM, Leif Hedstrom wrote:
> Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>> I like the idea, though I would prefer that a larger group
>> of committers (outside Yahoo!) were known up front because
>> that sounds like a big code base. Any chance you could convince
>> some of the former coders to join in the proposal?
>
> This is definitely a valid concern. We will try to get more people
> involved now that the process has begun, but I don't know if or how
> soon we can get some external developers to sign up. It's a bit of
> a catch 22, since we don't have the source out there yet.

I know, and they may be prevented (by former employee contract) from
talking about it until after Y! makes the code public.  I would just
place it on the "wish list" of things to do before graduating.

BTW, Traffic Server is a registered trademark (2304928) owned by
Yahoo!  Is that trademark going to be assigned to the ASF as well
or does the project plan on changing the name?

>> I would like to see how various bits compare to implementations
>> within httpd, particularly the protocol bits.
>
> We have run TS through Co-Advisor a number of times, and it fairs
> pretty well (as well as Squid, at least). Would it help putting up
> the results somewhere (I'd have to verify that this is possible and
> doable first though)? And as I mentioned in the proposal draft, we
> run TS + apache together for many Y! sites, and they work very well
> together.

Sorry, I did not mean to imply that acceptance was conditional
on the code quality.  I am just interested in seeing if our
projects can help each other once the code is available under
the Apache License.

If there is a scarcity of mentors, then I will mentor this project.
However, I'd prefer not to because my time is limited and I would
not want to short-change the project.

....Roy