incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Traffic Server
Date Mon, 15 Jun 2009 04:46:05 GMT
On Jun 12, 2009, at 9:17 AM, Leif Hedstrom wrote:

> Good morning,
>
> We would like to submit the Traffic Server proposal to the
> incubator. Our draft is available at
>
>    http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/TrafficServerProposal
>

> A quick overview of Traffic Server:
>
> Traffic Server is a Yahoo! / Inktomi caching proxy server. It has
> been actively developed and used inside Yahoo! for the last 3+
> years, and we are now ready to begin the next step in it's
> evolution: make it Open Source. TS is a fairly large piece of
> software (300k+ lines of C/C++ code), and provides features and
> benefits lacking in many existing proxy/caches.
>
> I am obviously looking for feedback and comments on the proposal,
> as well as a few mentors. Doug Cutting has accepted to be our
> Champion.

I like the idea, though I would prefer that a larger group
of committers (outside Yahoo!) were known up front because
that sounds like a big code base.  Any chance you could convince
some of the former coders to join in the proposal?

I would like to see how various bits compare to implementations
within httpd, particularly the protocol bits.  However, I don't
have the time to be a mentor.

Cheers,

....Roy