incubator-general mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: This problem of mine
Date Tue, 12 May 2009 21:40:35 GMT
On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 11:10 PM, Les Hazlewood <lhazlewood@apache.org> wrote:
> How do you check to ensure that the name is actually usable?  We did a lot
> of due diligence on Ki, checked USPTO searches for patents/trademarks on Ki
> and found not a single result, and performed lots of google searching and
> still we're in the current predicament.  How does one ever rest assured the
> name is 'safe' unless you just pick complete gibberish?

It never is "safe". If you have zero hits on Google it is 'more safe'
than there is 300 millions, since you would not have a clue what all
those hits are. But, even zero presence on the Net doesn't exclude
people owning some trademarks. If I am not mistaken, Google is
apparently settling "Android" at the moment. Only time will tell... It
is largely a matter of reducing the risks. The fact that "Apache Ki"
is challenged (at least softly) now is not a sign of failure for the
last round of name change, more like "bad luck".

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er