incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Apache JSecurity/Ki rename - please submit suggestions!
Date Thu, 21 May 2009 08:16:27 GMT
My recollection of the discussion was that the recommendations where
a) don't ask the party that might be infringed on for permission, b)
it is OK to wait for the project to wait until they are contacted, if
ever, before doing anything. Ironically, shortly before this
discussion there was another project that had clearly infringed on
someone else's trademark, was contacted by them, and at the
recommendation of our attorneys  the project name was changed fairly
painlessly. The answers I saw to this thread were all in line with
what they attorneys had discussed in that instance.

In short, I have never understood why JSecurity decided to change its
name. IIRC the only potential conflict was with a company that didn't
actually produce a software product with that name and that company
has never contacted us, despite JSecurity having been around for quite
a while.

Ralph