incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ian Boston <...@tfd.co.uk>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Approve the release of Shindig Incubator 1.0
Date Tue, 12 May 2009 00:32:08 GMT

On 12 May 2009, at 00:24, sebb wrote:

> Some NOTICE files start with:
>
> =
>   ==  NOTICE file corresponding to the section 4 d
> of                    ==
>   ==  the Apache License, Version
> 2.0,                                   ==
>   ==  in this case for the Apache Shindig
> distribution.                  ==
>
> =
> =
> =
>
> This is wrong, it should start with the text as described here:
>
> http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#notice

ok, will fix.

> The top-level NOTICE file (and java/NOTICE) also contains details of
> the crypto requirements.
>
> These are supposed to be in a README file, see:
>
> http://www.apache.org/dev/crypto.html#inform

will fix.

> NOTICE mentions opensocial-resources, PHPUnit and Zend, but
> LICENSE mentions  PHPUnit, Zend and jsmin.php.
>
> I would expect LICENSE to include a mention of opensocial-resources
> NOTICE should probably have a mention of jsmin.php

will fix, verifying the exact license text of the OpenSocial Resources
at the moment.

> Release archives
> ----------------
> There is no need for .asc.md5 and .asc.sha1 hashes; delete them before
> deployment

Ok will do.

> Binary archives
> ===============
> The war file contains lots of 3rd party libraries.
> None of these are mentioned in the NOTICE or LICENCE files.

I was reliably informed that this was discussed on the Maven list in
March 2008 (subject: legal-discuss)  and for binary distributions that
are created by the war packager that contained 3rd party libraries the
DEPENDENCIES file was sufficient to comply with ASF rules.

For source distributions, if any were bundled, they would require
mention in NOTICE or LICENSE in the appropriate form, but AFAIK, there
are no 3rd party libraries included that are not in those files.

please advise on this one.

> The N & L files in the java jar files are mostly OK, except
> java-features has an incorrect NOTICE file.
>
> Source archives
> ===============
> The tgz and zip files have the same files as each other, and the same
> files as SVN.
>
> However, most of the files in the archives are different from the
> files in SVN.
> The source files have additional empty lines at the end, and the PNG
> files are unusable.
> There's clearly something wrong with the way the files have been added
> to the archives.

Will fix, thanks for spotting this one.

> README.svn has 3 spelling mistakes:
>
> 6: supliment => supplement
> 15,29: it's => its
>
> I've not tried building or testing the release

Will fix.

Thanks for reviewing,
Sorry to have brought this to the PMC with these errors.
First releases are liable to have problems but thank you for you
continuing patience.
Ian