incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject This problem of mine
Date Tue, 12 May 2009 15:14:38 GMT
So, those of you may be aware that the JSecurity/Ki podling currently
is "administratively stuck" on a debate about its name.  First some
history then a brief explanation of my position.

After a long and arduous debate the podling voted to change its name
from JSecurity to Ki.  After the vote a company named FixFlyer sent us
a notice that it is their position that the name overlaps with their
java based security product.  See

http://www.jsecurity.org/node/1081#comment-289

Now, it's my opinion based on my experience in the financial industry
that their claim has great merit.  I think the confusion comes from
the dual meaning of the word security in finance.  People compare the
meaning as in financial instrument with that of computer security and
come to the erroneous conclusion that there is no overlap.

What FixFlyer has built in Java is a financial routing engine, not
unlike ServiceMix, that wires together all the disparate endpoints
that one needs to support the trading of financial securities.  Some
of the critical and hard bits are the authentication and authorization
of counterparties and the management of sessions when coordinating the
execution of a trade; this is where there is overlap w/ JSecurity.
Now, FixFlyer has a product named Ki that exercises these counterparty
networks to make sure they they conform to standards and are secure.

I have deep and wide experience in building such systems and can say
that I can see where executives who are shopping around for such a
product can easily become confused with ASF Ki and think that it's the
open source arm of the FixFlyer, much like Novel's  OpenSUSE.

I'd like someone to come up with a concise argument that would allow
me to let this go other than "nope, it's not the same".  Otherwise, I
feel that I need to bring up a vote to put the issue to bed once and
for all.

Regards,
Alan