incubator-general mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Bernd Fondermann <bernd.fonderm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: This problem of mine
Date Tue, 12 May 2009 19:55:08 GMT
On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 21:46, Craig L Russell <Craig.Russell@sun.com> wrote:
>
> On May 12, 2009, at 11:22 AM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>
>>
>> On May 12, 2009, at 11:12 AM, Craig L Russell wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> On May 12, 2009, at 10:56 AM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>>>
>>>>
>>>> On May 12, 2009, at 9:06 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 5:14 PM, Alan D. Cabrera <list@toolazydogs.com>
>>>>> wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> ...I'd like someone to come up with a concise argument that would
>>>>>> allow me to
>>>>>> let this go other than "nope, it's not the same".  Otherwise, I
feel
>>>>>> that I
>>>>>> need to bring up a vote to put the issue to bed once and for all....
>>>>>
>>>>> The only thing that I can say is that from the ASF's point of view
>>>>> your project's name is "Apache Ki", no just "Ki".
>>>>
>>>> So, this is an interesting point.  Can we change Apache Geronimo's name
>>>> to Apache WebSphere and get a way with it?
>>>
>>> The main point is that you and I disagree on whether FixFlyer Ki and
>>> Apache Ki are in the same domain.
>>>
>>> I have neither broad nor deep experience with securities trading systems,
>>> but I do know what financial securities are. And I claim that someone
>>> knowledgeable enough about computer systems to be in a position to evaluate
>>> software for securities trading systems, should know the difference between
>>> Java security and Securities Trading.
>>
>> I think you missed my point and that is that they are comparing their Java
>> security system, not the financial instruments, against JSecurity's.
>
> Not what I said.
>
>> Both provide the same functionality where their vertical application
>> overlaps with our horizontal application, that is, Java security.
>
> There's no evidence of this that I can see. Maybe we're looking at different
> source documents?
>>
>> It is not unusual to see companies break out pieces a product line and
>> open source them.
>
> So I went to the FixFlyer web site yet again, and can't find any evidence
> that they are in the same application domain.
>
> Neither the Ki Certification web page
> http://www.fixflyer.com/html-files/KiCertification.html nor their pdf
> http://www.fixflyer.com/materials/software/Ki/FlyerKiCertification.pdf mentions
> the word security.
>
> Craig
>>
>>
>>
>> Regards,
>> Alan
>>
>>> Craig
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>> About the actual risks associated with FixFlyer's considering that
>>>>> Apache Ki infringes on their trademarks, the best might be to ask
>>>>> legal-discuss@apache.org.
>>>>
>>>> Do we want to get into this kind of tussle straight out of the gate w/ a
>>>> podling that's been "using" this name for such short while?

What I don't get is why would anyone want to keep the name if there
are potential overlaps or troubles ahead?
I mean, there are probably better (coding) and harder (releasing,
graduating) things to do than getting stuck about the name.
Why don't you (as a podling) simply move on with another cool name,
for example, just brainstorming here... "JSecurity"... or something
similar?

Have fun,

  Bernd

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: general-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: general-help@incubator.apache.org


Mime
View raw message