incubator-general mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: This problem of mine
Date Tue, 12 May 2009 19:46:22 GMT

On May 12, 2009, at 11:22 AM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

>
> On May 12, 2009, at 11:12 AM, Craig L Russell wrote:
>
>>
>> On May 12, 2009, at 10:56 AM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> On May 12, 2009, at 9:06 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>>>
>>>> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 5:14 PM, Alan D. Cabrera <list@toolazydogs.com

>>>> > wrote:
>>>>> ...I'd like someone to come up with a concise argument that  
>>>>> would allow me to
>>>>> let this go other than "nope, it's not the same".  Otherwise, I  
>>>>> feel that I
>>>>> need to bring up a vote to put the issue to bed once and for  
>>>>> all....
>>>>
>>>> The only thing that I can say is that from the ASF's point of view
>>>> your project's name is "Apache Ki", no just "Ki".
>>>
>>> So, this is an interesting point.  Can we change Apache Geronimo's  
>>> name to Apache WebSphere and get a way with it?
>>
>> The main point is that you and I disagree on whether FixFlyer Ki  
>> and Apache Ki are in the same domain.
>>
>> I have neither broad nor deep experience with securities trading  
>> systems, but I do know what financial securities are. And I claim  
>> that someone knowledgeable enough about computer systems to be in a  
>> position to evaluate software for securities trading systems,  
>> should know the difference between Java security and Securities  
>> Trading.
>
> I think you missed my point and that is that they are comparing  
> their Java security system, not the financial instruments, against  
> JSecurity's.

Not what I said.

> Both provide the same functionality where their vertical application  
> overlaps with our horizontal application, that is, Java security.

There's no evidence of this that I can see. Maybe we're looking at  
different source documents?
>
> It is not unusual to see companies break out pieces a product line  
> and open source them.

So I went to the FixFlyer web site yet again, and can't find any  
evidence that they are in the same application domain.

Neither the Ki Certification web page http://www.fixflyer.com/html-files/KiCertification.html

  nor their pdf http://www.fixflyer.com/materials/software/Ki/FlyerKiCertification.pdf 
  mentions the word security.

Craig
>
>
>
> Regards,
> Alan
>
>> Craig
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>> About the actual risks associated with FixFlyer's considering that
>>>> Apache Ki infringes on their trademarks, the best might be to ask
>>>> legal-discuss@apache.org.
>>>
>>> Do we want to get into this kind of tussle straight out of the  
>>> gate w/ a podling that's been "using" this name for such short  
>>> while?
>>>
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Alan
>>>
>>>
>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: general-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
>>> For additional commands, e-mail: general-help@incubator.apache.org
>>>
>>
>> Craig L Russell
>> Architect, Sun Java Enterprise System http://db.apache.org/jdo
>> 408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
>> P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!
>>
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: general-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: general-help@incubator.apache.org
>

Craig L Russell
Architect, Sun Java Enterprise System http://db.apache.org/jdo
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!


Mime
View raw message