incubator-general mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Apache JSecurity/Ki rename - please submit suggestions!
Date Tue, 19 May 2009 19:53:42 GMT
Maarten Bosteels wrote:
> Hi Les,
>
> Is there an entry in TESS that shows us the potential naming conflict ?
> It could help us understand which names are good candidates.
>
> I don't quite understand the problem (IANAL).
> My apologies if this has all been discussed before.
>
> As far as I understand,  the name of the project is "Apache Ki" not just
> "Ki", so I don't see any conflicts.
> Same for "Apache JSecurity". I must be missing something here.
>
> All Apache project names I tried, generate several hits on TESS: James,
> MINA, Cocoon, Maven, Cayenne

Scroll back through the original thread.  The point not collisions.
I have a really good chance of getting away with the software project
"Apache Kleenex" because the Kleenex registration refers to a paper
product, not a software product.

But it does not matter that your software product only shares part of a name
with another software product, or that the two types of software do entirely
different thing.  The question is always one of confusion (deliberate or
otherwise).