incubator-general mailing list archives

From Les Hazlewood <lhazlew...@apache.org>
Subject Apache JSecurity/Ki rename - choose your favorite!
Date Fri, 29 May 2009 14:29:32 GMT
Hi everyone,

The period for name suggestions has ended, and we received many good
submissions.  Thanks so much for all who submitted - naming is not an easy
task given the research that has to be done, and your efforts are much
appreciated.

Below is a list of all submissions that cleared TESS [1] searches, along
with their meanings.  The spreadsheet I used to accumulate this information
may also be viewed here:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=rSmvjJ9yuJao7_rzldg_SxQ&output=html[2]

The list is ordered alphabetically accompanied by their meanings.  Please
only select one.  Due to the weekend, the voting period will extend to
Midnight (GMT-8) June 3rd. Thanks!

Apache Aseca      - relevant letters in "Application SECurity Api"
Apache AuthentiKi - play on previous 'Ki' name
Apache Boahn      - "security" in Korean (Boahn:보안)
Apache KeyPad     - electronic lock
Apache Narsil     - sword of Kind Elendil,Lord Of The Rings - represents
power/protection
Apache Panekana   - "security" in Hawaiian
Apache Security   - Apache security framework, but might have probs w/
apachesecurity.net [3]
Apache Sekuriti   - "security" in Malay
Apache Shiro      - "castle" in Japanese
Apache Sikkert    - "security" in Danish
Apache Tidasi     - variant of Tidasif (see next), easier to pronounce
Apache Tidasif    - the word "Secured" using an offset of one character
(s->t, e->i, etc).
Apache Toran      - a gateway, often a monumental approach to a Buddhist
temple
Apache XSJ        - relevant letters in "eXtensible Security for Java"

[1] http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=tess&state=4001:4hnqd9.1.1
[2]
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=rSmvjJ9yuJao7_rzldg_SxQ&output=html
[3] http://www.apachesecurity.net/