incubator-general mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Approve the M1 release of Apache Stonehenge
Date Thu, 14 May 2009 16:41:00 GMT
On 14/05/2009, Selvaratnam Uthaiyashankar <uthaiyashankar@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Sebb,
>
>  Thank you very much for the quick review.
>
>  See my comments inline.
>

>  On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 8:47 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  > On 14/05/2009, Selvaratnam Uthaiyashankar <uthaiyashankar@gmail.com>
>  > wrote:
>  > > Hi,
>  > >
>  > >  The Apache Stonehenge community has voted for the M1 release of Apache
>  > >  Stonehenge. We are now asking the approval from the Incubator PMC to
>  > publish
>  > >  the release.
>  > >
>  > >  Stonehenge is a set of example applications for Service Oriented
>  > >  Architecture that spans languages and platforms and demonstrates best
>  > >  practise and interoperability.
>  > >
>  > >  I have uploaded the Apache Stonehenge M1 release artifacts here:
>  > >  http://people.apache.org/~shankar/stonehenge/m1/release2/<http://people.apache.org/%7Eshankar/stonehenge/m1/release2/>
>  > <http://people.apache.org/%7Eshankar/stonehenge/m1/release2/>
>  >
>  > MD5 hashes and sigs OK, key is published to keyserver.
>  > Might be worth adding SHA1 hashes, but not essential.
>  >
>  > The contents of the binary zip and tar.gz files do not agree - the
>  > tar.gz archive does not include any of the dotnet files. Agreed it's
>  > more likely that .NET users will be using Zip, but the tgz archive
>  > should still contain the same contents.
>  >
>  > If you want to release a version without .NET, then IMO the archive
>  > should have a different name, and should be made available in all
>  > archive formats.
>  >
>  > IMO this needs to be fixed before a release.
>

> We were thinking tgz will be only for *nix platform, so we didn't include
>  .NET binary. I'll include them in tgz as well.
>

>  >
>  >
>  > The source and binary files contain several PDF files, but these are
>  > not present in SVN.
>
> These pdfs are generated from the wiki page (
>  http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STONEHENGE/Index). These pdfs are
>  included so that users can easily check the documents.. This detail is given
>  in the README file. If it is incorrect, we can remove it from the pack.

I suggest you ask on legal-discuss, as it would be good to include
them if you can.

>  >
>  >
>  > There should be nothing in a source archive that does not come from
>  > SVN, and the contents of the source archive should contain "... the
>  > source materials needed to make changes to the software being
>  > released" - see http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html.
>  >
>  > I'm not sure how this need to be handled, but I don't think it can be
>  > left as is.
>  > Perhaps check on legal-discuss?
>  >
>  > >  The key is here:
>  > >  http://people.apache.org/~shankar/stonehenge/m1/release2/KEYS<http://people.apache.org/%7Eshankar/stonehenge/m1/release2/KEYS>
>  > <http://people.apache.org/%7Eshankar/stonehenge/m1/release2/KEYS>
>  > >
>  > >  RAT reports are here:
>  > >  http://people.apache.org/~shankar/stonehenge/m1/rat_report/release2/<http://people.apache.org/%7Eshankar/stonehenge/m1/rat_report/release2/>
>  > <http://people.apache.org/%7Eshankar/stonehenge/m1/rat_report/release2/>
>  >
>  > Where are the RAT reports for documentation
>

> What do you mean by documentation?

I meant the xml files under the documentation/ directory in SVN.

> The site documents? They are generated
>  documents. Do we need RAT reports for them?

Yes, the generated documents should also have the AL headers - just
have a look at the source of say http://www.apache.org/index.html.

>  > and ruby?
>

>  Since Ruby is not ready and we are not releasing it with M1, we haven't
>  included RAT report for it.

I see.

>  >
>  >
>  > Most of the documentation files are missing AL headers.
>  >
>  > IMO this needs to be fixed before a release.
>

> Is it site documents? If so, they are generated documents.

See above.

>  >
>  >
>  > >  This release is tagged at:
>  > >
>  > https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/stonehenge/tags/stonehenge_m1_incubator/
>  > >  (revision 772495)
>  >
>  > There need to be NOTICE and LICENSE files at the top-level of the tag.
>  >
>  > That will also make up for the missing N & L files in the
>  > documentation sub-tree.
>  >
>  > IMO this needs to be fixed before a release.
>

> Sure, I'll fix them.
>

>  >
>  >
>  > Otherwise the N&L files seem OK.
>  >
>  > ==
>  >
>  > There does not seem to be any mention of the runtime system
>  > requirements on the web-site - the dependencies page says that there
>  > are no dependencies.
>  >
>  > This is not a release-blocker.
>

> Different components have different dependency requirements, and that detail
>  is included in the installation guide (wiki page).

I think it would help if the Dependencies page linked directly to the
individual requirements pages, but that's your call.