incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: This problem of mine
Date Tue, 12 May 2009 18:22:08 GMT

On May 12, 2009, at 11:12 AM, Craig L Russell wrote:

> On May 12, 2009, at 10:56 AM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>

>> On May 12, 2009, at 9:06 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 5:14 PM, Alan D. Cabrera <list@toolazydogs.com
>>>
>>> The only thing that I can say is that from the ASF's point of view
>>> your project's name is "Apache Ki", no just "Ki".
>>
>> So, this is an interesting point.  Can we change Apache Geronimo's
>> name to Apache WebSphere and get a way with it?
>
> The main point is that you and I disagree on whether FixFlyer Ki and
> Apache Ki are in the same domain.
>
> I have neither broad nor deep experience with securities trading
> systems, but I do know what financial securities are. And I claim
> that someone knowledgeable enough about computer systems to be in a
> position to evaluate software for securities trading systems, should
> know the difference between Java security and Securities Trading.

I think you missed my point and that is that they are comparing their
Java security system, not the financial instruments, against
JSecurity's.  Both provide the same functionality where their vertical
application overlaps with our horizontal application, that is, Java
security.

It is not unusual to see companies break out pieces a product line and
open source them.

> But to answer your question, if Apache WebSphere were a loose-knit
> pajama bottom, I doubt that anyone would complain about the name
> conflict. As it is, Geronimo and WebSphere are in the same domain.

Not a valid analogy.

Regards,
Alan