incubator-general mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Suggestion regarding improvement of iCLA submission process
Date Thu, 23 Apr 2009 06:39:10 GMT
On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 7:16 AM, Richard Hirsch <hirsch.dick@gmail.com> wrote:
> The current CLA submission process is described here:
> http://www.apache.org/dev/committers.html#cla-registration
>
> I'd like to make a suggestion that emails be sent to people to submitting
> iCLAs so that they have idea of the status of their submission. I'd suggest
> sending emails when an iCLA has been received, when it has been
> acknowledged and finally when it has been registered.
>
> This would improve the process and avoid emails in the podling mailing lists
> asking about the status of individual iCLA submissions.
>
> I've just submitted an iCLA via email and I have no way to check its status
> besides looking at the Committers' page (
> http://people.apache.org/~jim/committers.html) on a daily basis.
>
> Thanks.

don't be so quick to thanks us ;-) the price of submitting ideas is
being willing to actively help to make it happen :-)

IMO asking the secretary to send more mails would just add more strain
to our key volunteer infrastructure. so, the some means of automation
would be needed.

IMHO this means using JIRA to record and track these documents and the
associated workflow. the easiest way to do this would be by finding a
way to allow contributors to submit an iCLA via JIRA. AIUI the
requirement for submission by fax, email or mail is a legal one, so
the first step you need to take is to subscribe to legal-discuss and
ask what steps apache needs to take to allow submission of iCLAs via
JIRA.

- robert