incubator-general mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is SVN considered a Release? (was: [VOTE] Release Apache Pivot 1.1 (second try))
Date Wed, 22 Apr 2009 19:38:54 GMT
On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 12:43 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17/04/2009, ant elder <antelder@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 9:05 AM, Niclas Hedhman <niclas@hedhman.org> wrote:

<snip>

>>  >> And that matches "What is a release?" in the ASF Releases FAQ (although
SVN
>>  >> its not explicitly mentioned): http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what
>
> Two extracts:
>
> 1) "Releases are, by definition, anything that is published beyond the
> group that owns it."
>
> 2 )"All releases are in the form of the source materials needed to
> make changes to the software being released."
>
> Point (2) definitely applies to SVN.
>
> I argue that (1) also applies to SVN, since the SVN URLs are generally
> published quite prominently on the web-sites in places where the
> public are expected to look.

apologies for my poor language when we drafted that description. the
intention was to ensure that PMC understand that normal release rules
applied to any artifacts published by PMCs whether they termed them
releases or not.

official releases are - by definition - actions of the PMC. no
official release can be published without a PMC VOTE.

FWIW i would agree that a PMC could elect to create a release just by
dubbing a subversion URL at a revision. however, this would not
satisfy the infrastructure requirements that all releases are
mirrored.

- robert