incubator-general mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Encouraging TLPs to Game The System [WAS Re: [PROPOSAL] Commons Incubator]
Date Fri, 17 Apr 2009 09:08:07 GMT
On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Niclas Hedhman <niclas@hedhman.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 7:27 PM, Torsten Curdt <tcurdt@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Too often had the discussion at Commons whether this library needs to
>> go through incubation or not.
>
> That should be the case;
>  1. IF there is a community --> Incubation.
>  2. IF there is no community --> IP Clearance.
>
> With 2-4 *active* people, I think a judgment call is proper.

AIUI IP clearance was intended to provide a way for the IP on medium
sized code contributions to be cleared in a transparent fashion

IMO accepting a codebase through IP clearance from a small community
then electing the prime contributors as committers is a clear way to
game the incubator system as currently set up

IMO the prime reason why TLPs prefer to take this approach is that the
IPMC has failed to create an appropriate path whereby small codebases
with small communities can be adopted by a larger apache community

 - robert