incubator-general mailing list archives

From Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanj...@opensource.lk>
Subject Re: Apache Wink Proposal
Date Wed, 22 Apr 2009 20:00:22 GMT
On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 12:44 AM, Daniel Kulp <dkulp@apache.org> wrote:

> So, basically, you wanted a JAX-RS implementation.  You looked at Apache
> CXF

Just to make matters more muddy .. Axis2 has full REST support and there's
some work that was started to support JAX-RS but never completed (not
exactly major user demand there). However, that will happen at some point ..
we just have to complete the annotations, the runtime is essentially
available already.

More the merrier, eh?

but it didn't completely meet your needs.   Instead of engaging with CXF
> (there wasn't any discussion about any of this on the CXF dev/users list)
> enhance CXF, you fork it in house and update it and enhance it outside of
> any
> community.   Now you want to push it back into Apache, but not with any of
> the
> CXF community.    I just wanted to get that out in the open.    Two
> implementations isn't a bad thing (think Axis2 and CXF) but the way this
> was
> approached is a concern.

I guess history repeats itself ;-).

I guess from my standpoint, while I'm not "against" the proposal, I'd
> definitely like to see it have the option of "graduating" via a merger with
> the CXF implementation and engagements with that community.

>From my read of the proposal, the idea is to have a clean JAX-RS *only*
runtime. I can imagine that would be a tad less complex than CXF or Axis2 is
given that those are designed for a more general problem and treat REST
support as one style of services only.

To that extent, I don't see a problem with a separate standalone
implementation.

Sanjiva.
--
Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.
Founder, Director & Chief Scientist; Lanka Software Foundation;

Blog: http://sanjiva.weerawarana.org/