incubator-general mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Commons Incubator
Date Tue, 14 Apr 2009 07:08:38 GMT
On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 2:16 PM, Jochen Wiedmann
<jochen.wiedmann@gmail.com> wrote:

>  A very reasonable alternative might be that the Incubator decides "Ok, this
>  project did its housework and could leave the Incubator, apart from
>  community issues. Why not offer it to some project as a subproject?"
>  And this project *could* include Commons.
>
>  I am aware that this would likely need to change the Incubator policy in
>  advance, but to me it makes much more sense than throwing everything
>  at Commons.

There are example of this; FtpServer was too small (1) to attract
critical mass while in Incubator. I (as Mentor) tried to be
'inventive' and asked if MINA folks would be interested, which they
were, and a couple of MINA PMC members were added into the FtpServer
to fulfill the community requirement. Should it have been enough for
Mina PMC to say ; "Yes, we will take charge of it."? I think so. After
the fact, I think this particular case has been very successful and
additional committer(s) with interest in the FtpServer has since been
added.

I think this shows a concrete case of a relatively small code which
fits into a TLP, and the Incubator PMC should try to place these
accordingly. Commons should not be a dumping place...

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er