incubator-general mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <>
Subject Re: Commons issues WAS RE: [PROPOSAL] Commons Incubator
Date Tue, 14 Apr 2009 02:42:26 GMT
On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 1:38 AM, Matt Benson <> wrote:

> The primary obstacle to Commons using the normal Incubator practices is the community
exit requirements.  We feel that, due to the small size/scope of a Commons component, a podling
graduating into Commons should be able to do so with a minimal community PROVIDED that there
is a total of at least three guardians (to play on the orphan concept) including the podling
committers (becoming full Commons committers, with all that implies) in addition to existing
Commons committers who explicitly declare themselves interested and available to support the
graduating component.

IMVHO, nothing is changing.
There seems to be some concern in Commons that committers are a threat
to the existing codebase. My answer is; No, that is a hostile attitude
towards decent people. If a component never leaves the sandbox, or the
'maintainer' goes AWOL before it gets enough momentum or whatever, it
doesn't matter that the individual still have commit access. He/She
won't use it. It is no different than some other committer goes AWOL.
Now, in the very unlikely event that the committer makes malicious
attempt at sabotage, THEN bring up the issue and expel him/her from
And the "I am committer at ASF" argument is completely loosing its
meaning. Soon half of the 'thinking' Java world are committers here.
And IFF it positively affects some individual who didn't 'earned' it,
So what? Does it affect us? Not a bit.

I am still of the opinion that it can be handled within Commons, with
IP Clearance registrations at the Incubator.

Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer - New Energy for Java

I  live here;
I  work here;
I relax here;

To unsubscribe, e-mail: