incubator-general mailing list archives

From Aidan Skinner <aidan.skin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Getting Apache [project] included in Linux distributions
Date Fri, 10 Apr 2009 21:46:51 GMT
On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 6:45 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
<robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 11:47 AM, Aidan Skinner <aidan.skinner@gmail.com> wrote:

> (Apache and RMS saw Java a little differently: an opportunity as
> opposed to a trap. Apache has always been confident in our ability to
> - if necessary - develop a new virtual machine, so saw no reason not
> to develop FOSS for the platform.)

Oh, totally, and now that the whole stack is Free there's no
fundamental reason for the split, but a decade+ of being in somewhat
separate worlds has meant that expectations about how to build and
deliver software are quite different. Most Java apps ship their deps,
for instance.

>> It's a solvable problem though. Qpid moved back to plain ant to make
>> shipping the Java components easier[1]. I've got patches to use Ivy,
>> but I haven't finished the work (it's still looking for libs in
>> something looks like a maven repo, not /usr/lib)
>
> AIUI repository arrangement should be pluggable. perhaps it might be
> possible to create a simple patch that could be used by the distros.

That's my plan, I haven't quite gotten as far as that yet though. I
suspect this hasn't happened already because it may be one of those
"lots of people would put a little effort into fixing it, but no one
person is going to put in enough effort" problems.

>> If we're serious about this, lets work with the JPackage people. The
>> OpenSUSE build service might be helpful as well.
>
> cool
>
> anyone have any contacts over there?

I don't know anyone at JPackage. I could probably dig out a few email
addresses at OpenSUSE but I think JPackage is the place to start.

> the advantage of being the upstream is that it's usually easier for us
> to get stuff developed than the distros so long as we understand what
> they need.

Totally, and I don't think it'd take much. We're not a million miles
from being able to do this already, it's just going to take a bit of
leg work and making sure that everybody is getting what they need.

- Aidan
http://qpid.apache.org