incubator-general mailing list archives

From Aidan Skinner <aidan.skin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Getting Apache [project] included in Linux distributions
Date Fri, 10 Apr 2009 10:47:50 GMT
On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 7:31 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin
<robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:

> IMHO apache needs to be more active at getting it's corpus into the
> distributions. for a long time, the Java Trap stuff was a major social
> barrier but that should dead and gone now. (isn't it?)

Ish. Dusting off my Linux systems management / build system hat for a
moment, I'll try to summarise the java specific issues.

OpenJDK and IcedTea are obviously major improvements for the
Freedom-matters distros. Unfortunately, there's still a couple of
issues that I'll charitably describe as cultural impedence mismatches.

Each distro has varying rules about exactly what they require in terms
of being able to build a package, but the fact that maven goes to the
network and doesn't look for libs in the standard places a distro puts
them is a huge barrier to acceptance in all the ones I'm familiar with
(Fedora, OpenSUSE, Ubuntu, Debian. It's been a long, long time since I
contributed packages to FreeBSD but they're historically more flexible
and Java friendly).

It's a solvable problem though. Qpid moved back to plain ant to make
shipping the Java components easier[1]. I've got patches to use Ivy,
but I haven't finished the work (it's still looking for libs in
something looks like a maven repo, not /usr/lib)

If we're serious about this, lets work with the JPackage people. The
OpenSUSE build service might be helpful as well.

- Aidan (who is making a general plea for this not to turn into maven
bashing, that's so 2008, 2007, 2006...)

[1] A number of components are already shipped in Fedora, and RedHat
ship some as part of their commercial offerings.
http://qpid.apache.org