incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] Release Apache Pivot 1.1 (second try)
Date Thu, 16 Apr 2009 20:57:21 GMT
sebb wrote:
> The SVN branch contains lots of .settings directories which are
> Eclipse-specific; these aren't normally added to SVN as they tend to
> vary between Eclipse installations. I think they should be deleted
> from SVN. The .project and .classpath files may also vary, but are
> less of a problem.

But I would not consider this a release issue.  That's something for the
project to address on technical merit.

> There are 11 jars in SVN demos/lib directory which are not in the
> source or binary archives

> Jars must not be stored in SVN unless the licence is suitable

That is a valid concern, although should not effect the release packages,
since the jar files are not present in them.  The packages that would be put
out are clean as far as anyone has indiated.  That said, Todd, as far as I
know, since SVN is a form of distribution, we can't have improperly licensed
third party code in SVN.

HOWEVER, while I see that you are planning to remove them, after checking
with legal-discuss@, please do it only for things that actually have
non-compatible licenses.  For example
http://groovy.codehaus.org/faq.html#licence suggests that Groovy is fine.  I
have not checked the others.

> The SVN branch also contains a classes directory - these should not
> normally be stored in SVN.

Again, while I agree, this does not strike me as a release issue.

	--- Noel