incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Commons Incubator
Date Tue, 14 Apr 2009 02:45:28 GMT

On Apr 13, 2009, at 3:55 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Torsten Curdt wrote:
>
>> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>> That's code.  What about community, Torsten?  What is the
>>> Community?  It
> has
>>> been the Apache Commons as a collective, not sub-projects.  Is
>>> that to
>>> change?  We do not want Apache Commons to turn into an umbrella,
>>> right?
>  We
>>> need to keep that as a single community managing libraries of common
>>> components.
>
>> Exactly! That's exactly why I think the Incubator does not work well
>> for small components. The Incubator is to build a community.
>
> Exactly.  We agree.
>
>> all it's the whole Commons that is the community.
>
> We agree, again.  :-)
>
>> So is it OK for commons to play mini Incubator with it's sandbox? I
>> am
>> not sure I like this either.
>
> OK, why not?  Just asking.  You and I have having a civil
> discussion.  :-)
>
>> Too often had the discussion at Commons whether this library needs to
>> go through incubation or not. I guess what I am trying to say is that
>> there is something in the middle we need to find a procedure for.
>
> OK, why don't you lay out some parameters?
>
> FWIW, *ALL* new code coming into the ASF does go through the
> Incubator, but
> that is because we are the repository for IP clearance; the actual
> clearance
> is done by the PMC clearing it.
>
>> Be it at Commons or at the Incubator. I don't care. It's just that
>> Commons is probably more likely to get these kind of contributions
>> and
>> we need to find a procedure on how to deal with it. I think the idea
>> behind this thread was more to reach out to the Incubator experience
>> to find a proper way how to deal with such contributions.
>
> We have provisional communities, but not committers.  How is it
> different if
> a new project comes into the Incubator and they have commit access
> to that,
> versus it goes into Commons Sandbox, and they are granted karma for it
> there?  Is it just a matter of access control?  Is that what this
> boils down
> to in the end?
>
>> Some projects are just too small to warrant the target of a TLP
>> or even a sub project
>
> We agree!  We have several projects here that I believe belong in
> Commons!

For example, we have a great little project called Sanselan that is
"code complete" but has not attracted a big enough community to become
a TLP. Commons could be just the place for it.

The alternatives for Sanselan are indefinite incubation, expulsion
from Apache or incorporation into another TLP.

Craig