incubator-general mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Click graduation
Date Fri, 24 Apr 2009 12:41:29 GMT

On Apr 24, 2009, at 3:25 PM, Martijn Dashorst wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 2:01 PM, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org
> > wrote:
>> If you have proof otherwise, please share.
>
> How about that in those four years, no new committers were admitted to
> the project? A project with a scope and as successful as Click could
> easily have attracted 4-8 great committers over the course of 4 years.
>
> To ask a counter question: why haven't these contributors been
> considered as committers until just *now*? Isn't that a sign of
> community immaturity?
>
> Martijn

I disagree. First of all there was another committer, who dropped off
for health reasons. So the original author had no problem accepting at
least 3 more people on board. Saying how many committers they should
have after X years sounds like a business plan. It doesn't work this
way in open source.

Then there are different types of contributions. Some warrant a
committership, others show that a given person should not be given SVN
write access under no circumstances. Then there is a pace issue (which
I think is at play here, and this is being reevaluated now), where you
need to see a person become a community member before allowing SVN
access. This has nothing to do with maturity, just common sense.

Andrus