incubator-general mailing list archives

From Dave <>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache SocialSite
Date Thu, 09 Apr 2009 04:28:22 GMT
On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 11:26 PM, Nick Lothian
<> wrote:
> I'm quite interested in this proposal - I think it's a good fit at Apache, and Dave has
put projects through the incubator before.
> I'd like to highlight something that's made me a little hesitant about getting involved
in SocialSite earlier, though. As it stands now it's quite large, moderately complex codebase,
with a very, very small community. The commits mailing list shows Dave has been the only committer
active on it since January, and the dev list is also of correspondingly low volume.
> In the "Reliance on Salaried Developers" the proposal says "Risk level: moderate. The
community includes members who are paid to work on the code and some who are not." What part
of the system are these paid developers working on?

Those are valid concerns and your observations are correct.

The salaried developers are from the consulting firm Globant, which
has an OpenSocial practice and has done extensive work for Google.
They are preparing to put SocialSite into production at a large web
site made up of multiple web applications and communities. They have
been working on "porting" SocialSite to JBoss, Tomcat and making the
JPA implementation work with Hibernate's JPA. They have not yet
submitted patches for this code.

- Dave

information. If you think you may not be the intended recipient, or if you have received this
e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete all copies of this e-mail.
If you are not the intended recipient, you must not reproduce any part of this e-mail or disclose
its contents to any other party. This email represents the views of the individual sender,
which do not necessarily reflect those of except where the sender expressly states
otherwise. It is your responsibility to scan this email and any files transmitted with it
for viruses or any other defects. limited will not be liable for any loss, damage
or consequence caused directly or indirectly by this email.