incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <jvan...@sonatype.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Approve the release of Shindig Incubator 1.0
Date Tue, 28 Apr 2009 14:31:38 GMT

On 28-Apr-09, at 1:24 AM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 1:14 PM, Jason van Zyl
> <jvanzyl@sonatype.com> wrote:
>
>> Not mocking, just clarifying that on the aggregate level what is
>> distributed
>> via the standard Apache mechanism easily has its analog source
>> equivalent
>> which can be built.
>
> Ok, I think we are in general agreement. Are you personally of the
> opinion that -sources.jar are not adequate as formal ASF releases?

They are not, they do not need to be, and they would be useless for
the purpose they serve. As long as the main distributables (like these
at http://apache.org/dist/maven/) are accompanied by a source
distribution which can be built.

> have the opinion it is currently not, but I don't mind seeing a
> change...

Right now the -sources.jars produced work with the default
configurations of all the IDEs, if you want to figure out how to
change all the IDEs then you're welcome to tackle that. I can tell you
the number of users who have asked to be able to build from a -
sources.jar over the last 5 years though. That would be zero.

What is found at http://apache.org/dist/maven/ I believe is sufficient
and adding the requirement of self-building -sources.jar is not
required. That's not what their primary purpose is. A standard
assembly descriptor that produced a standard Apache release from the
top-level of a directory structure would be useful.

> Cheers
> --
> Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

Thanks,