incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <jvan...@sonatype.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Approve the release of Shindig Incubator 1.0
Date Tue, 28 Apr 2009 15:28:48 GMT
Brian just pointed me at the legal-discuss list thread ...

Why on earth would you bring up how the releases are made for Maven
anywhere but on the Maven list first? No one on our PMC has the
faintest idea that you are talking about us. I find this incredibly
disrespectful, and cannot understand why the simplest of issues
devolve into subterfuge here time after time after time.

Take the issue to the heart of the matter. It is quite demonstrable
that no one here is actually going to change any of the tooling
related to Maven except for the Maven developers, and while everyone
bitches and complains the fact of the matter is that people here
generally do very little constructively to fix something that is
related to Maven. This is a case in point. I can assure that the most
effective way to change something with the Maven-based release process
is to actually make sure the Maven developers know. Without a heads
up, a pointer, you have a pretty good chance that none of us have any
idea what you're talking about.

As per usual we, the Maven developers, will do everything to fix the
problem and we're generally fine with that but I definitely do not
like conversations happening that involve us yet no attempt is made to
contact us. The legal-discuss list is not something any typical Apache
PMC member or committer has the vaguest interest in and is probably
not subscribed. Olivier who is a PMC member is asking for a pointer to
the discussion because he has no idea what's happening.

In the time you've spent talking about the problem -- and not with
anyone who could probably fix it -- you probably could have altered
the organization wide POM to make the assemblies you desire.

On 28-Apr-09, at 8:07 AM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 10:31 PM, Jason van Zyl
> <jvanzyl@sonatype.com> wrote:
>
>>> Ok, I think we are in general agreement. Are you personally of the
>>> opinion that -sources.jar are not adequate as formal ASF releases?
>>
>> They are not, they do not need to be, and they would be useless for
>> the
>> purpose they serve. As long as the main distributables (like these at
>> http://apache.org/dist/maven/) are accompanied by a source
>> distribution
>> which can be built.
>
> Excellent, then we are on the same page after all. I totally agree to
> the usefulness of the -sources.jars, and that is not something I want
> to remove... (I obviously need to improve my skills of understanding
> how my communication can be interpreted and correct it to be less
> ambiguous).
>

> Cheers
> --
> Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer