incubator-general mailing list archives

From Shanti Subramanyam <Shanti.Subraman...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Olio 0.1
Date Thu, 23 Apr 2009 03:06:36 GMT
sebb wrote:
> On 23/04/2009, Shanti Subramanyam - PAE <Shanti.Subramanyam@sun.com> wrote:
>
>> On 04/22/09 10:35, sebb wrote:

>> jar

>> automatically

>> These

>> it

>> source

>> php

>> difference

>> workload

>> OlioDriver.jar

>> dirs.
>>
>>> That does not explain why the diffs and patch files are present in the
>>> binary jar, because as far as I can tell they are not intended to be
>>> interpreted by rails.
>>>
>>> Are they actually *needed* at run-time?
>>>

>>  I really don't know. As I said, there is no concept of 'binary' for
>> scripting languages - the source is the binary. I will try and investigate
>> this matter for the next release if it's not a major problem to leave them
>> here for now.
>>

> I understand that there is no binary for scripting languages, and
> therefore .js and .rb files appear in both source and binary archives.
>
> However, the .diff and .patch files are scripts for a patch program,
> which is used to modify source files.  Are such patches really applied
> at run-time? Seems rather wasteful to me if so.
>
> But I agree that could be fixed later.

>> be

>> make

>> there

>> web

>>> What about the license for the event.pdf file? Is that also AL licensed?
>>>

>>  All the resource files are created as part of the apache project, so they
>> are all Apache licensed.
>>

> According to its properties, the event.pdf file was created in 1999
> and last modified in 2004. AFAIK, that is well before the Apache
> project started.
> The file event.jpg was created in 2006, which was also before the
> project, and is a picture of 5 real people. Hopefully they have given
> permission for their photos to be published.

This project was started a long time ago at Sun - all of the code
including these files was then donated to apache.
> Neither appears to be present in the binary file, so I'm not sure how
> the web application can use them.

They do exist in the binary package - they are part of OlioDriver.jar.
> Note that there are other jpg files in the same directory with much
> the same contents:
> event_thumb.jpg, person.jpg and person_thumb.jpg.
>
> AFAICT, these files don't belong in SVN or in any of the archives.

These files are required at run-time. The driver uses these resource
files to upload content to the web application - please see the source
code under 'workload/.../driver'.
> My vote is -1 based on the above.

I guess I don't really understand what the objection to having these
files are. If you're concerned about the photo itself (it was actually
just taken by one of the engineers), I can replace it with a picture of
me although you may actually prefer the current image :-) But seriously,
without these files, we will have to somehow go out and manufacture
image/pdf files at install time - uploading files is a big part of a
web2.0 workload these days (and for sites like flickr the major workload).

Does anyone else see a serious issue with these files ?