incubator-general mailing list archives

From Shanti Subramanyam - PAE <Shanti.Subraman...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Olio 0.1
Date Thu, 16 Apr 2009 15:41:17 GMT
On 04/15/09 18:15, sebb wrote:
> On 16/04/2009, Shanti Subramanyam <Shanti.Subramanyam@sun.com> wrote:
>> Thank you very much for your very prompt review.
>>  Answers to your questions below.
>>
>>  Shanti
>>
>>  sebb wrote:
>>
>>> The OlioDriver.jar file contains a smaller OlioDriver.jar file.
>>> This is very confusing; one of the jars should be renamed.
>>>

>>  This is the format of the Faban (http://faban.sunsource.net) Driver jar -
>> the user never has to do anything with it as the tool will automatically
>> unjar and put everything in it's right place.
>>
>>> The binary olio file contains several .patch and .diff files. These
>>> don't seem correct for a binary file. What is their purpose?
>>>

>>  These files are part of the 3rd party plugin fixture_replacement2. Since we
>> tend to include 3rd party code as is (for easier upgrade),  I think it might
>> be better to leave them as they are.
>
> But why are they in the binary rails jar, rather than in just the source jar?

There is no difference between the source and binary code for rails (or
php for that matter) since these are interpreted languages. The only
difference between the source and binary packages of Olio is the
geocoder and workload - these are written in Java so the binary packages
have the OlioDriver.jar and geocoder.jar and the source packages have
the corresponding source dirs.

>>> The source PHP file contains several jars; I would expect these to be
>>> in the binary archive only. It also contains the file "event.pdf"
>>> which does not seem to belong in the archive (or indeed in SVN).
>>>

>>  These are third-party jars. They are included as a convenience to make it
>> easier to build and run the source.
>
> What about the event.pdf file?

This is a resource file used by the web application. If you notice there
are several image files as well - these are all static files used by the
web app.

Shanti