incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Ace
Date Mon, 06 Apr 2009 07:33:10 GMT
Jason,

Although, we keep trying to point out that OBR != p2, you seem to keep
missing that point.

OBR is a simple repository model and API for accessing it, that's all it
is...it is not a provisioning system. As such, OBR has been "done" for a
long time. All other functionality should be hopefully be buildable as
layers on top, such as what Luminis has done with their provisioning work.

You act like there is some "gotcha" that OBR is not an OSGi spec, but
OBR has always existed outside of the OSGi specs, so who cares? The
proposal literally only mentions the letters "OBR" once as a dependency
and nothing more. It is hardly the main selling point.

No one was shouting about OBR or p2, that was only you.

Also, the notion that we should just lay down because we can't compete
with some big company and all these man years they have invested is
somewhat ridiculous. If we all bought into that, then none of us would
be here.

If you just wanted to point out that p2 should be mentioned as a
competing technology in the proposal, I think you could have
accomplished that in a more reasonable manner.

Lastly, it is somewhat difficult for me to take community building
lessons from someone who claims to have had an OSGi awakening and is
willing to cull all of their own personal projects as a result, yet I
can count on probably a couple fingers how many discussions you've
instigated (or even responded to) regarding OSGi, OBR, or any topic in
the Felix community in all the years it has existed.

-> richard