incubator-general mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Is SVN considered a Release? (was: [VOTE] Release Apache Pivot 1.1 (second try))
Date Fri, 17 Apr 2009 11:43:50 GMT
On 17/04/2009, ant elder <antelder@apache.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 9:05 AM, Niclas Hedhman <niclas@hedhman.org> wrote:
>  > On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 2:59 PM, ant elder <ant.elder@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >> On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 3:48 AM, Niclas Hedhman <niclas@hedhman.org>
wrote:
>  >>
>  >>> On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 11:07 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >>>
>  >>> > As far as I know, putting a file in a publicly accessible SVN
>  >>> > repository is considered as distribution too.
>  >>>
>  >>> No, I am very positive that this is not the case. Legal dilligence is
>  >>> done on the release artifacts separately from SVN issues. Unlike
>  >>> release artifacts, SVN are at times incomplete, incorrect and
>  >>> inaccurate. "Tags" have no legal meaning whatsoever, and should not
>  >>> even be part of the discussion.

Nor do "trunk" and "branches" have any meaning, apart from by convention.

The point is that it is a lot harder to find a deleted file if there
are no references to it in any directories, be they called trunk or
branches or tags or site or whatever.

By convention, tags are not deleted or updated, so a tag may still
contain a file which no longer appears anywhere else.

>  >>>
>  >>>
>  >> And that matches "What is a release?" in the ASF Releases FAQ (although SVN
>  >> its not explicitly mentioned): http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what

Two extracts:

1) "Releases are, by definition, anything that is published beyond the
group that owns it."

2 )"All releases are in the form of the source materials needed to
make changes to the software being released."

Point (2) definitely applies to SVN.

I argue that (1) also applies to SVN, since the SVN URLs are generally
published quite prominently on the web-sites in places where the
public are expected to look.