incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <jvan...@sonatype.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Ace
Date Sun, 05 Apr 2009 22:56:55 GMT
I have no problem with it per se. You guys should go for it. It's your
effort and I'm not trying stop you but only draw some attention to the
surrounding environment. I think the proposal should attempt to be a
little more clear about but that's was a request not something I was
specifically asking for. You'll do what you do, if you guys figure
stuff out with the p2 guys great. If not, that's fine too.

+1

On 5-Apr-09, at 12:50 PM, Karl Pauls wrote:

> I'm not sure I understand what your problem with this proposal is
> exactly but I sure would like to. Let me try to get some things clear
> in order to be able to get to the bottom of this. Don't let any
> previous comments side-track you and lets try to focus on the
> proposal:
>
> I don't see where the proposal is mentioning OBR in the first place.
> Let alone where it would say anything about it being a standard or
> anything. Its only listed as an external dependency.
>
> There is no pointer to OBR (other then that it is a dependency) nor is
> there a pointer to p2. That is not suspicious as the project is not
> about any of the two other then it should be able to use obr and p2
> repositories and infrastructure where it makes sense.
>
> I completely agree that it would be great if there would be an active
> and healthy collaboration between the projects but I'm not sure this
> has to be in the proposal. It certainly doesn't say anything to the
> opposite (unless I'm missing something?).
>
> Finally, the proposal already does say: "When assembling software out
> of reusable components, the task of deploying software onto an ever
> increasing number of targets is not trivial to solve. This becomes
> even harder when these targets require different components based on
> who's using them." What else do you think is necessary to make it
> clear that provisioning is a hard problem as you say?
>
> From this point, would you say that what you like to see is a
> paragraph that mentions that the current luminis implementation uses
> OBR and that the project will look into using p2 as well? I'm sure
> that this can be arranged.
>
> regards,
>
> Karl
>
>> I'm suggesting that  you two groups figure out how to work together
>> on a
>> very hard problem.
>>
>> I'm also saying that you are unlikely to out do the 5 man years in p2
>> already.
>>
>> As I said in the previous email if you want to make a competing
>> system
>> that's fine. But don't couch the proposal as something that's new
>> and hasn't
>> been addressed elsewhere because it has.
>>
>> You might want to be more clear in the proposal about p2 being a
>> competitor,
>> also make it clear that OBR has gone back to specification, and
>> what it is
>> you're actually working from. So when a user or potential developer
>> looks at
>> this and says what specification are you working from they can see
>> "there
>> isn't one yet", and if they ask "what about p2?", then it's clear you
>> decided not to collaborate with them. I think you can even point
>> out that
>> they didn't collaborate with you either. Give people all the
>> information.

> [...]

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Our achievements speak for themselves. What we have to keep track
of are our failures, discouragements and doubts. We tend to forget
the past difficulties, the many false starts, and the painful
groping. We see our past achievements as the end result of a
clean forward thrust, and our present difficulties as
signs of decline and decay.

  -- Eric Hoffer, Reflections on the Human Condition