incubator-general mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@odoko.co.uk>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Pivot 1.1 (second try)
Date Fri, 17 Apr 2009 23:22:37 GMT
On Fri, 2009-04-17 at 10:48 +0800, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 11:07 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > As far as I know, putting a file in a publicly accessible SVN
> > repository is considered as distribution too.
>
> No, I am very positive that this is not the case. Legal dilligence is
> done on the release artifacts separately from SVN issues. Unlike
> release artifacts, SVN are at times incomplete, incorrect and
> inaccurate. "Tags" have no legal meaning whatsoever, and should not
> even be part of the discussion.
>
> So, since we are looking at a "Release", please spare the SVN
> discussion for later.

Personally, I give a lot of weight to what Larry said on legal-discuss.

Both SVN and releases are distribution. So, we _must_ be sure that
anything that goes into SVN we have the right to distribute.

However, we choose to apply a policy on top of this to our releases -
which is that everything we distribute within a release must be
compatible with the Apache License.

Thus, when employ X of Y Corporation checks out a project from SVN
containing an LGPL library, we have not breached anyone's copyright, so
we can do it, yet to package that project while including that LGPL
library would go against our AL compatibility policy, therefore we won't
allow it.

Of course, there is always a risk that non AL compatible stuff in SVN
could sneak into a release, so having it in SVN should be discouraged,
but it should not be banned.

This seems to me to make a lot of sense. Of course, IANAL.

Upayavira