incubator-general mailing list archives

From Santiago Gala <santiago.g...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Getting Apache [project] included in Linux distributions
Date Sun, 12 Apr 2009 11:35:01 GMT
El sáb, 11-04-2009 a las 20:35 +0100, Robert Burrell Donkin escribió:
> On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 10:46 PM, Aidan Skinner <aidan.skinner@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 6:45 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
> > <robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 11:47 AM, Aidan Skinner <aidan.skinner@gmail.com>
wrote:

> >> (Apache and RMS saw Java a little differently: an opportunity as
> >> opposed to a trap. Apache has always been confident in our ability to
> >> - if necessary - develop a new virtual machine, so saw no reason not
> >> to develop FOSS for the platform.)
> >
> > Oh, totally, and now that the whole stack is Free there's no
> > fundamental reason for the split, but a decade+ of being in somewhat
> > separate worlds has meant that expectations about how to build and
> > deliver software are quite different. Most Java apps ship their deps,
> > for instance.
>
> +1
>
> one problem is that the Free Software echo chamber is quite a lot less
> nuanced that RMS

> >> AIUI repository arrangement should be pluggable. perhaps it might be
> >> possible to create a simple patch that could be used by the distros.
> >
> > That's my plan, I haven't quite gotten as far as that yet though. I
> > suspect this hasn't happened already because it may be one of those
> > "lots of people would put a little effort into fixing it, but no one
> > person is going to put in enough effort" problems.
>
> +1

> >> cool
> >>
> >> anyone have any contacts over there?
> >
> > I don't know anyone at JPackage. I could probably dig out a few email
> > addresses at OpenSUSE but I think JPackage is the place to start.
>
> ok
>
> anyone have contacts over at JPackage?

Henri Gomez, who, IIRC, is the soul behind jpackage, is apache
committer, and member, but I could be wrong about he being "the boss" of
jpackage. Not sure how active currently, though.

sgala@marlow ~/Apache/infrastructure.git (master)$ grep gomez
subversion/authorization/asf-authorization | sed -e "s@=.*@@"
committers-h
jakarta