incubator-general mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Commons issues WAS RE: [PROPOSAL] Commons Incubator
Date Tue, 14 Apr 2009 15:38:32 GMT

--- On Tue, 4/14/09, Jochen Wiedmann <jochen.wiedmann@gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Jochen Wiedmann <jochen.wiedmann@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Commons issues WAS RE: [PROPOSAL] Commons Incubator
> To: general@incubator.apache.org
> Date: Tuesday, April 14, 2009, 1:22 AM
> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 4:42 AM,
> Niclas Hedhman <niclas@hedhman.org>
> wrote:
>
> > There seems to be some concern in Commons that
> committers are a threat
> > to the existing codebase.
>
> I know the concerns you mention and felt them very much in
> the
> discussion about JSch. But, at least for me personally, I
> don't think
> that's my concern.
>
> Commons is working *now*. Just as Jakarta was working once.
> But
> Commons will most likely no longer work when it is growing
> too much.
> And the things discussed here (making Commons the target of
> many new
> subprojects, which aren't integrated into Commons, thus
> must likely
> will never be) are clearly implying this danger. That's not
> about
> external committers. It is about too many committers.
>

> > I am still of the opinion that it can be handled
> within Commons, with
> > IP Clearance registrations at the Incubator.
>
> Disagreed. Assuming that the Incubator changes its policy
> to have
> projects exiting without community: Why can't another
> project be the
> target (depending on the projects topic, of course). Why
> should this
> be so special to Commons?

Well, right... rules should never be made with explicit reference to any project.  Commons
is special because it is a single community acting as custodian of several projects.  Any
TLP-to-subproject structure, where a larger community pledges to take responsibility for the
graduating podling, should be considered similarly.  This may already be acceptable in practice,
but I'd at least like to see some explicit assurance of that fact.

-Matt