incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject [DISCUSS] Sanselan as a Commons library
Date Fri, 17 Apr 2009 21:17:56 GMT
Hi,

The Sanselan podling [1] has been incubating since 2007 and has
achieved most of the goals in incubation:

Code has been released [2] according to the incubator release guidelines
Status is up to date [3]
Community mailing lists are responded to promptly [5]
JIRA issue tracking is in use [4]
Web site with sample code and download is available

The last item before graduation is activity and diversity, which are
lacking. There were a few developers during the project but now we
have only one active developer. And it's not clear that we will be
able any time soon to attract more developers to fulfill the
requirements.

While discussing Sanselan in the incubator, it appears that there are
three end points for the podling:

1. Fail incubation and reject Sanselan
2. Continue (indefinitely?) to incubate Sanselan
3. Graduate Sanselan as a sub-project of another TLP

It appears to many of us that option 3 is the best way forward.

It also appears that Commons might be a good fit for the project.

I have some questions to kick off a discussion:

commons projects. Would a small project like sanselan get lost in the
traffic?

2. Most commons components have a "functional" name instead of a "fun"
name. Would Sanselan need to be renamed, e.g. Commons Image, or would
it be ok to have the sub-project called Sanselan, or Commons Sanselan?

3. Would any changes be required from the existing packaging of
Sanselan? For example, packages are named org.apache.sanselan. Would
these need to be renamed to org.apache.commons.sanselan (or less fun
name as above)?

If any additional oversight is needed to accept Sanselan, I'd be happy
to contribute as PMC member.

Thanks,

Craig