incubator-general mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Getting Log4PHP going again.
Date Sun, 22 Mar 2009 04:37:32 GMT
On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 11:29 PM, Christian Grobmeier
<grobmeier@gmail.com> wrote:

> The log4php code is quite stable, but since the last big changes some
> time has gone. PHP4, in which the code has been written, has reached
> the end of its life in august 2008. No development will be done here.
>
> I really think that we should finish the development of the php4
> branch in log4php too and just do bugfixes, if necessary. For the php4
> branch could have a incubator release quite soon, i guess.
>
> We should concentrate in PHP5 and for this we need helping hands and a bit time.

I am not a PHP guy at all, but AFAIUI (only from the package
resolution issues in Debian) the PHP4 and PHP5 is incompatible and
that a port require substantial work.

If so, that is a good thing and give some hope that it can be revived.
The main issue about community is still a troublesome one, and IMHO a
lot of blogosphere and article activities would be needed to get some
attention to the project and hopefully some fresh souls.

I support the idea of get going again, and can volunteer a Mentor role
(thanks to Etch and Pivot being excellent podlings and require little
time now). I can also assist in patch application, but can't review
the code per se...

Cheers
Niclas