incubator-general mailing list archives

From Janne Jalkanen <Janne.Jalka...@ecyrd.com>
Subject Re: Champion needed for new workflow project proposal
Date Mon, 02 Mar 2009 22:28:27 GMT
> I don't mind championing you but as mentioned by others, there will be
> several hurdles to overcome. To change the license, you will have to
> get an
> agreement from everybody who ever contributed a patch to the source
> you plan
> to incubate, even for a minor bug fix. I don't know how painful that
> would
> be in your case.

IANAL, but why would you need a CLA for a minor bug fix or small
patch? For copyright to form, the item needs to be long and complex
enough to be recognized as original - a few lines don't a copyrighted
work make.

With JSPWiki, we took CLAs from major contributors (of which there
were over 20, that was quite a job) when they were identifiable, and
rewrote the sections which didn't have an identifiable author or for
which CLA could not be obtained.

/Janne