incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: If you're not interested in Java and MySQL Cluster, you can stop reading now...
Date Fri, 20 Mar 2009 05:04:56 GMT
Hi Gianugo,

On Mar 19, 2009, at 12:37 AM, Gianugo Rabellino wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 1:53 AM, Craig L Russell <Craig.Russell@sun.com
> > wrote:
>> I'm working (day job!) on a Java interface to the MySQL Cluster
>> database
>> (a.k.a. NDB). NDB is a high performance, high availability database
>> used
>> mostly in telecommunications applications. It can be the backing
>> store for a
>> MySQL server (accessed via any of the MySQL client APIs such as
>> ODBC, JDBC)
>> or can be used directly via primitive C++ or Java APIs.
>>
>> What I've been developing is a high performance, easy-to-use Java
>> interface
>> to NDB that bypasses the MySQL Server and instead goes directly to
>> the
>> native NDB API. I've used a Domain Object Model similar to
>> Hibernate, JDO,
>> and JPA.
>>
>> I'd like to work on this in Apache and would like to discuss the
>> opportunities with folks at ApacheCon. If this looks interesting,
>> please let
>> me know. I'll post a proposal to the incubator wiki if there is
>> positive
>> feedback.
>
> Interesting! However, I assume the MySQL side is all GPL. How does it
> mix 'n match with the Apache License?

Yes, the MySQL Cluster code is currently licensed strictly as GPL/
Commercial. I'm working with the MySQL product folks on changing the
license to be similar to the other MySQL connectors (waiving the GPL
terms when used with approved open source licenses).

The plan is to license all of the ClusterJ code under the Apache
license except for the code that actually invokes the NDB Cluster APIs
(which is a very small part). That part would no be hosted at Apache,
obviously.

Craig