incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Alexander Veit" <alexander.v...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Starting a new incubation
Date Tue, 17 Mar 2009 21:54:26 GMT
Hi Thilo,

Thank you very much for your answer.

> Thilo Goetz wrote:
>
> there are two things I'd advise you to do.
>
> One, put up a project proposal in the incubator wiki:
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/
> You can also look at older proposals there.  There is
> no need to do this all at once, you can build your
> proposal incrementally (adding a champion etc.).

OK, I'm going to formulate the proposal in the incubator wiki.

> Two, it sounds like your project is related to the
> web services world.  So check out the projects under
> the Apache WS umbrella (http://ws.apache.org/), and
> also Apache CXF.

Yes, there are similarities to web services.

However, Jaffre neither does use any Web technology like HTTP* or XML, nor
is it interoperable with non-Java technologies.  You can think of it as a
simplified kind of RMI that also uses standard Java object serialization for
data transfer, with a heavy commitment to the KISS principle.

It is thus somewhat orthogonal, or should I say complementary, to web
services.

> Get on their mailing lists and talk to them.  They may
> champion you proposal, or have some other suggestions.

OK, I will do this as soon as the proposal sheds some more light on Jaffre.
Voluntary champions from other projects are certainly also welcome at any
time ;)

--
Cheers,
Alex

* OK, HTTP transport is likely to be added in the future.