incubator-general mailing list archives

From Shanti Subramanyam <Shanti.Subraman...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Olio 0.1
Date Tue, 31 Mar 2009 16:21:43 GMT
Craig L Russell wrote:

>> However, the RAT report shows that there are lots of files without the
>> correct headers.
>>
>> AIUI, the correct headers are a *requirement* for a release:
>>
>> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#release-legal-audit
>>

>> There's a document somewhere describing how to deal with existing
>> copyright headers.
>> It should be referenced somewhere in the Incubator documentation.
>
> Generally, copyright notices should be moved from their original
> location in the source and put into the NOTICE file. Since there is
> already the Sun copyright notice in NOTICE, the original can simply be
> replaced by the Apache license. The history in svn has the original
> copyright so it's not lost.
>
> There are different forms of the Apache license depending on the type
> of file, e.g. java source has the /** style format, xml would have the
> <!-- format, shell scripts would have # format, etc.
>
> If a file format cannot accept any comments (rare) then this should be
> noted in a discussion of the RAT output in the vote message.

Other than the Sun copyright notice (which has already been moved and
all source files modified with the correct Apache notice), we have no
other copyright notices to move. The few other notices are from
third-party plugins which according to
http://apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#3party should be left where
they are - so I didn't touch them.

However, the big issue we have is that there is a lot of generated code
and we can't insert any notices in them. I assume this is acceptable. We
have binary files (jpgs, etc.) as well as a lot of third-party code with
no notices at all which is what RAT is flagging.
For all third-party code, we had verified the licenses before checking
in the code to svn (BSD, MIT or ruby licenses).
> Craig

Shanti