incubator-general mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Suspending Projects
Date Wed, 18 Feb 2009 07:42:41 GMT
On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 2:45 AM, Niclas Hedhman <niclas@hedhman.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 10:59 PM, Noel J. Bergman <noel@devtech.com> wrote:
>> Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>>
>>> IMO suspension is the wrong way to handle inactive podlings.
>>> Suspension implies fault and punishment. Long term inactive
>>> podlings should just be archived into an Attic.
>>
>> IMO, you seem to have latched onto the wrong definition of the word suspend,
>> which has multiple meanings outside of the school building.  :-)
>
> It is interesting to study the inflation of negative expressions in
> any language.

from an English perspective, this case may well have been exactly the
opposite. halt is a perfectly good germanic expression whereas suspend
is norman-ish. the connotations in the OED's definitive are pejorative
whereas websters is more agnostic. so, my thesis is that suspend
started with negative connotations and then acquired other meanings
later.

is there a doctor in middle English in the house?

- robert