incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject February 2009 Incubator Board Report
Date Mon, 16 Feb 2009 18:56:25 GMT
The last month has been fairly quite, with nothing currently requiring the
attention of the Board.

We voted to accept Pivot for Incubation.  Pivot did not report this month,
but is still just getting started, and have not yet received all of their
infrastructure (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIVOT-1).  We will
require them to report March, April, and May.

A number of projects held votes to perform releases, including OpenWebBeans,
Sanselan, and Click.

Little else at the Incubator level.  Some discussion of housekeeping.  The
Incubator has started a vote to suspend XAP, as well as to discuss which
others should be suspended.

= Bluesky =

BlueSky has been incubating since 01-12-2008. It is an e-learning solution
designed to help solve the disparity in availability of qualified education
between well-developed cities and poorer regions of China.

Recent Activity:
  * Feb Update: Clean room version of the Bluesky code has been reviewed by
Bill Stoddard (project mentor).
  * Jan Status: It is nearly the end of this semester. We were busy
preparing and taking exams in the past month. So no further progress could
we make. We sent our clean version code our mentor, and are waiting for his
reverberation.

Next Steps:
  * Consider replacement of FFmpeg. We believe that the clean version of our
code should be available under ASL. Thus we are considering the cost of
using Theora.
  * Submit Bluesky code grant to ASF.  Perform final code review, cleanup
then check the code into the svn repository.
  * Begin working on formal release of Bluesky

= Cassandra =

** DID NOT REPORT **

= Droids =

** DID NOT REPORT **

= ESME =

Enterprise Social Messaging Experiment (ESME) is a secure and highly
scalable microsharing and micromessaging platform that allows people to
discover and meet one another and get controlled access to other sources of
information, all in a business process context.

ESME entered the incubator in 2008-12-02.

The following items have been performed since the last reporting period

 * Inclusion of other existing svn branches (actions, etc.) from Google Code
into Apache SVN trunk
 * Anne Kathrine Petteroe elected as a committer
 * Completion of first development sprint
 * Transfer of existing issues in Google Code to Apache Jira
 * Source code clean-up (Moving everything to org.apache.esme path, Apache
copyright, etc.)

The following items are planned for the next reporting period:
 * Work on development second sprint
 * Submission of Apache CLA by other team members
 * -- In progress --

Top 2 or 3 things to resolve prior to graduation
 * Move all collaboration to the esme-dev mailing list
 * Increase community involvement in the project
 * Provide instructions for people to build, install and evaluate EMSE by
themselves

= Kato =

Kato was accepted into the Incubator on 6 November 2008.

Kato is a project to develop the Specification, Reference Implementation,
and TCK for JSR 326: the JVM Post-mortem Diagnostics API

Recent Activity:

 * The discussions on users stories for the tools that will shape the API
have been ongoing.
 * Work is being done to get the CCLA and initial code contribution
prepared. Target is the end of February.

The following is planned for next reporting period:
 * Wiki and Website setup.
 * Contribution of source code along with CCLA.

= Lokahi =

** DID NOT REPORT **

= PDFBox =

Apache PDFBox is an open source Java library for working with PDF documents.
PDFBox entered incubation on February 7th, 2008.

The past three months have been very good for the PDFBox project. Community
activity has increased notably, and we've added Andreas Lehmkuhler and Brian
Carrier as committers and PPMC members. The lengthy license review is nearly
finished and we're preparing for the first Apache release of PDFBox.

Issues before graduation:

   * Increase community size and activity
   * Resolve remaining issues found during the license review
   * First Apache release

= PhotArk =

Apache PhotArk will be a complete open source photo gallery application
including a content repository for the images, a display piece, an access
control layer, and upload capabilities.

  * PhotArk has been accepted for Incubation in August 19, 2008.
  * Issues before graduation :
      * Grow community
      * Releases

  * Roland Weber retired as PhotArk mentor
  * The community has not changed over the last month, although we have
started to see people collaborating on the mailing list
  * We are working towards a .01 release. It is the hope of the current
community that having a release will help attract other contributors.

= Pivot =

Pivot was voted on subsequent to the January Board meeting, and is brand
new, and still being setup.  Pivot started as an internal project at VMware
for a rich, Java-based, in-browser, web UI.  We are in the process of
collecting the necessary CLA documents.

= Sling =

Sling is a scriptable web framework that uses a Java Content Repository,
such as Apache Jackrabbit, to store and manage content.

Sling entered incubation on September 5th, 2007.

Community

    * With the new year, new activity has sparked around Sling and new
people come to use Sling
    * Sling will be the subject of various sessions at ApacheCon EU, and
interest in JCR in general is increasing, which should help Sling as well.

Software

    * We're expecting to do a new release real soon now, after closing a few
outstanding issues.
    * Rory Douglas contributed OpenID authentication support for Sling.
    * Due to timing constraints work on enhancing the documentation on the
site has not gone forward yet.

Issues before graduation

    * Grow a more diverse community. Activity of non-Day people is growing
which we see as a good sign, that this is finally taking off - but we're not
there yet.

Licensing and other issues

    * none

= Stonehenge =

Stonehenge was accepted into the Incubator in December 2008

Since the last board report, there has been further contributions and
updates to the Stonehenge codebase and we are working towards our first
release. The incubator website is now updated with Stonehenge listing and
status page.

= VCL =

** DID NOT REPORT **

= WSRP4J =