incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: What should be the consequences of missing required Incubator Reports?
Date Mon, 16 Feb 2009 19:49:41 GMT

On Feb 16, 2009, at 11:29 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

>>> Totally agree, it is the mentors responsibility to make sure "their"
>>> podlings submit their reports on time.
>
> A practical problem with this approach is that reports are submitted
> right up to the deadline

I'm not sure I understand your point. The deadline is the Wednesday a
week ahead of the board meeting.

>> Personally, I see that that people, Mentors included, get
>> overwhelmed,
>> caught up, or simply don't get it down.  And communal, collective,
>> responsibility is our philosophy.  OK, fair enough, perhaps we can
>> argue
>> that the report is a singular exception, as it is for me to deliver
>> each
>> month.  In any event, what actions should we take in the event of
>> non-report?
>
> Asking the mentors to submit a confidential report (on private)
> whenever a report is missed would be reasonable start.

And what is the motivation for the mentors who missed the incubator
report to make a special private report?

> To be
> practical, would need to pull the report dealine earlier with the
> month to give mentors and PMC the chance to create a report on behalf
> of the podling.

I think I'm on a different page here.

I think that mentors have the responsibility to create a report on
behalf of the podlings to start. Yes, it's all on them. After a few
reports, the mentor gets the community to step up and create the
reports. The mentor then just needs to monitor things and step in if
things don't get done.

It takes less than an hour for a mentor to create a report. Perhaps
the missing link is a reminder to the mentors (directly, on their own
personal email address) to prepare and submit the report or get the
podlings to do so.

Craig