incubator-general mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: IP clearance and copyright transfer
Date Wed, 18 Feb 2009 18:33:47 GMT

On Feb 18, 2009, at 1:10 PM, Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:

> Hi Craig,
>
> These two sentences in that section are what threw me off:
>
> "Check and make sure that the papers that transfer rights to the ASF
> been received. It is only necessary to transfer rights for the
> package, the core code, and any new code produced by the project."
>
> "Check and make sure that the files that have been donated have been
> updated to reflect the new ASF copyright."
>
> It'll be great to clean up that wording to say that what's required
> is a license and not "new ASF copyright".

I think that text is referring to the "Source Header and Copyright
Notice Policy" ( http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html and in
particular  http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#headers ).
IIRC, this used to be (still is?) referred to as the *new* source
header policy...

If the source files contained copyright statements, we would not be
able to remove the copyright statements (e.g. move them to a NOTICE
file). The copyright holder needs to do this.

--kevan