incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Mentor responsibilities (Was ... Rant)
Date Fri, 20 Feb 2009 10:18:37 GMT
Hi,

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 8:10 AM, Niclas Hedhman <niclas@hedhman.org> wrote:
> [...] I am also dismayed by many Mentors are quick to jump into becoming
> a Mentor, but not able to follow up on their responsibilities. It seems
> that many thinks that 'hanging around' and have an opinion every now
> and then is enough 'effort'.

Agreed. An ineffective mentor helps nobody.

The way I see it, mentoring requires considerably more work than does
for example being a member (in many cases even the chair) of a normal
PMC. It's not just about observing the podlings (even that seems to be
lost on some mentors) but actually working with the projects to guide
them towards graduation.

BR,

Jukka Zitting